Honors, Distinctions, and Education
- 2007–2013 Assistant Federal Public Defender, Federal Public Defender’s Office, Seattle, WA
- 1999–2007 Appellate AFPD/Research & Writing Specialist, Federal Public Defender’s Office, Denver, CO
- 1998 Litigation Associate, Pendleton, Friedberg, Wilson & Hennessy, Denver, CO
- 1993–1996 Assistant Federal Defender, Federal Defender Program, Chicago, IL
- 1991–1993 Litigation Associate, Brobeck, Phleger & Harrison, San Francisco, CA
- 1991 J.D. with Honors, University of Chicago Law School
- Author, Challenging Crime of Violence Sentence Enhancements in Federal Court, The Champion, May 2006
- Author, Daubert/Kumho Tire Challenges to Handwriting Analysis, The Champion, November 2002
- 1985 B.A., Amherst College
- Faculty, National Training for Tribal Advocates
- Faculty, Federal Public Defender National Training and CJA Panel Trainings
- Licensed to practice in the States of Colorado, Illinois, and California
Lynn Hartfield has over twenty-five years’ experience representing clients in a wide variety of criminal and civil matters. A former federal public defender, she specializes in criminal trials and appeals in state and federal court. Although Lynn chairs our appellate practice, she also handles sentencing mitigation, attorney disciplinary matters, white collar crimes, DNA cases, securities violations, and compliance with Colorado’s marijuana regulations. Lynn also has expertise in asset forfeiture of any kind, from real property to personal possessions to marijuana plants and grow supplies. She has conducted trainings on cellular phone technology and privacy issues, federal sentencing guidelines, trial advocacy, and attorney ethics.
- Prevailed in Colorado Supreme Court case involving retroactivity of amendment to theft statute that resulted in reduced criminal penalties.
- Achieved reversal of firearms conviction at Tenth Circuit based on faulty jury instruction.
- Obtained reversal of conviction of child abuse resulting in death at Colorado Court of Appeals based on insufficiency of evidence.
- Obtained a resentencing hearing and reduced sentence at Ninth Circuit based on interpretation of sentencing guidelines.
- Achieved return of seized real property for landlord whose tenants operated illegal marijuana grow on premises.
- Secured return of seized automobile for innocent spouse of criminally charged defendant.
- Negotiated forfeiture settlement and dismissal of criminal charges in marijuana grow case.
- Secured reversal of sexual assault conviction from the Colorado Court of Appeals.
- Obtained a resentencing hearing and reduced sentence in fraud case brought against a Colorado online businessman in federal court.
- Obtained dismissal of international firearms trafficking charges brought against licensed firearms dealer.
- Negotiated diversion agreement for attorney charged with engaging in an inappropriate relationship with a client.
- Secured dismissal of human trafficking charges brought against wrongfully accused legal immigrant.
- Secured dismissal of drug trafficking charges and probationary sentence for 19-year-old college student facing 10 years in prison under the federal sentencing guidelines.
- Successfully used DNA evidence to obtain dismissal of first-degree murder charges for client who acted in defense of another.
- Obtained favorable settlement for securities broker charged with churning client funds.
- Secured probationary sentence for client facing 15 years in prison under the federal sentencing guidelines.