Honors, Distinctions, and Education
- 2013–2015 Deputy Public Defender, Colorado Public Defender’s Office
- 2013 J.D., University of Denver Sturm College of Law
- 2012–2013 Staff Editor, Denver Journal of International Law and Policy
- 2011 Legislative Fellow, Colorado Legislative Fellow Program, Senator Mike Johnson
- 2011 Intern, Rocky Mountain Children’s Law Center
- 2007 B.A., Political Science, University of Colorado, Dean’s List
Kate Hennessy has co-counseled numerous high-stakes trial teams that have resulted in acquittals, dismissals, or dramatically reduced sentences for our clients. She has represented clients in both misdemeanor and serious felony cases involving white-collar COCCA issues, weapons, sexual assault, theft, national security, anti-terrorism, and civil restraining and protection orders. Kate’s significant litigation experience in complex criminal cases includes mitigation, grand jury practice, immigration consequences related to criminal charges, alcohol-related traffic cases, and other jailable offenses, and she helms our civil rights practice that focuses on helping individuals that have been subjected to governmental abuses of power. Kate helps set the standard that our firm’s thorough, zealous representation delivers. Prior to joining the Eichner Law Firm in 2015, Kate handled a robust trial docket as a Colorado Public Defender. During her time in the Arapahoe County Regional Office, Kate honed her courtroom skills and developed an unrelenting passion to defend her clients’ rights and freedoms.
- Secured dismissal of assault, battery, and trespass charges in Aurora Municipal Court after exposing police misconduct during investigation.
- Defended Canadian Citizen accused of six counts of sexual assault; case dismissed after two-day preliminary hearing in Denver.
- Saved doctor’s ability to practice medicine after criminal charges of sexual assault in Denver County were dismissed.
- Won acquittal in domestic violence jury trial in Boulder County for client facing deportation.
- Reduced charges of DUI and careless driving against an attorney to DWAI, allowing attorney to avoid disbarment.
- Settled six-figure police brutality case against the Aurora Police Department.
- Dismissed and sealed weapons charges in Denver County for member of the United States Army.
- Secured dismissal of charges of felony assault on a police officer in Arapahoe County.
- First-degree assault charges dismissed after investigation showed client acted in self-defense.
- Secured permanent protection order following trial in Denver for C-suite executive of major company who was stalked and threatened by former boyfriend.
- Dismissed domestic violence charges in Denver County after prevailing at motions hearing.
- Charges of felony vehicular eluding dismissed after investigation uncovered police misconduct in Summit County.
- Secured deferred judgment and records sealed in million-dollar felony destruction of property case in Jefferson County.
- On the day of trial, secured dismissal of felony second-degree assault charges in El Paso County.
- Filed petition and litigated successful deregistration from sex offender registry in Adams County.
- Achieved probation-only outcome for client charged with felony vehicular assault, vehicular homicide, and DUI in Jefferson County.
- Won acquittal of DUI, DWAI, and circumvention of interlock charges in Adams County jury trial.
- Reduced charges of felony assault on a police officer to single misdemeanor and term of probation.
- Secured deferred judgment and records sealed in domestic violence case while also helping client keep his government job.
- Negotiated deferred judgment for felony second-degree assault charges in Arapahoe County.
- Secured dismissal of felony second-degree burglary charges in Jefferson County.
- Dismissed charges of DUID and careless driving in Jefferson County.
- Achieved probation-only outcome for client charged with first-degree burglary and domestic violence in Jefferson County.
- Secured dismissal of felony burglary charges in Arapahoe County District Court.
- Avoided felony charges of sexual assault and dismissed civil protection order in Douglas County.
- Secured dismissal of domestic violence assault in Denver County after extensive investigation.